Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why do we settle?


I am sitting at home today and that can be dangerous. I start to think about different things. So my goal today: to make you think.

Do you find yourself settling a lot of times in your life? Settling for a job you're less than satisfied with, settling for relationships and friendships you're not 100% happy with, and just settling in general. Whether it is with little things or major things, why do we find ourselves settling for things that we are less than happy with?

Each person would have their own reasons as to why they choose to settle. I know I've settled for less than the best in my lifetime. I've settled for jobs I know I didn't really want. I've settled for situations I know I didn't really want to be in. In the end, I find I am still less than happy anyway, so what is really the point of settling? My reasons include fear, insecurity, pressure to conform to societal views, an attempt to please others, and lack of confidence to go after what I really want. Admittance is always the first step.

Settling for anything that doesn't make you completely happy is a self-defeating behavior that will halt all of your other hopes and dreams. Settling will never make you completely happy because you were never satisfied to begin with. Any gratification would be temporary and fleeting. Settling means compromising too much and not living your own life. You can't follow your dreams if you are pursuing the dreams others have for you. Settling breeds mediocrity. If you never take a chance, you will never know, right?

At the end of the day, the choices you make should be your own. Sure, people around you will always make comments, give advice, and pass judgement, but remember, they are not the ones who are living your life. They are not the ones who have to live with the consequences of the choices you make. You always have a choice about what you want to do. If you choose to settle and can honestly live with that, then by all means, go ahead. But if you feel your happiness is compromised too much for a choice you settled with, then find a mirror and ask yourself: WHY AM I SETTLING?

I'm just saying,

Step Brown

1 comment:

Please play nice with comments. No profanity! Yet, feel free to express yourself.