Monday, January 6, 2014

According to Forbes Magazine...

Successful people have a routine in their lives. The question is what do you consider successful. Is it a six-figure income? Maybe it's a growing family? Success can be so relative. We all have our definition. 

For me, I define success as a person doing the things that they love. So by all practical accounts, I am a successful person. I love to write. I have a published novel. I have short stories in two published anthologies, one of which is featured in a Zane anthology.  Two one-act plays I have written have been produced onstage. Yes, I should consider myself successful.

One thing I lack is DISCIPLINE. I pray about changing that. One day, I read an article in Forbes Magazine that listed the four things successful people do before 8am. For the last three weeks, I have tried to incorporate that list in my morning routine.

1. Exercise----Pray for me. I set my alarm for 5am. And yes, my alarm wakes me. Still...  Just pray for me.

2. Eat a Healthy Breakfast----I believe I have this one done. Breakfast is my most important meal of my day. I try to make sure it's hearty. I am working on the healthy. 

3. Map Out Your Day----Every morning, after reading my devotionals, I create a list of things I need to do. I easily get distracted from that list, but at least, I have a road map. Even when I venture off the trail, I still have a sense of accomplishment if I've done one or two things on the list. Eventually, I will complete a days' list and I'll smile.

4. Make the Day Top-Heavy----Usually on that list, one or two projects we hate to tackle. It looms after you all day (or week or month) until we finally set your mind to do it. To solve the problem, simply do the one thing you don't want to do FIRST. Get over the biggest hurdle first and the rest of your day is all downhill.

Every morning, I have the best intentions. Soon those intentions will become actions. Once they are actions, habits form. One day at a time...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please play nice with comments. No profanity! Yet, feel free to express yourself.