Friday, December 13, 2013

What Makes Me, ME?

Day 13---What makes me, ME?

My earliest memory is riding a tractor with my step-father. I was about five. My biggest concern was if I was going to have chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies for snack.  I knew my Mama Gold was baking something before I left...to work out in the fields.

At the very core, I understand that life experiences make me who I am today. That includes my DNA, things that are innate, things that are learned. At 38, I respectfully call it my Potter's wheel experiences.

I proud myself on my handwriting because of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Phillips. I enjoyed learning my multiplication facts with Mrs. Greene. I appreciate my history because of Mrs. Knox and fell in love with grammar with Mrs. Harper. I played my childhood games with Coach Banks and took reading seriously with Anna Leach. Adlean Davis, Annie Ruth Covington, even Doris Fouche made differences. I learned that if I was going to participate, I needed to take the precautions, thanks to Mrs. Whitehead. Vernita Woodfork introduced me to the college experience and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. I dealt with literature with Mrs. Lewis and Betty Ball Bowman. Mrs. Collins showed me I could write and should embrace my imagination. I endured geometry and algebra with John Teague and Jennifer Wilson.  Mr. Stanton had my calculus for me and Mr. Jackson got my chemistry going. How could I forget to 'hit em with a brick' from Gean Gilbert in AP US History and Coach Maddox who made sure I knew the fall of the Roman Empire. It was 476 A.D. by the way. I could list so many more teachers who have left a definite imprint on my life, good and bad. They all a part of who I am.

Church mothers, choir directors, neighbors---all make me who I am today. The perpetrators and the nurturers all make me who I am today. The car accidents, the love interests, the breakdown all make me who I am. My Potter's wheel experience makes me who I am today. 

Would I change any of it? In my finite wisdom, heck yeah!! But that is not my choice to make. I leave that in God's Hands. I am whatever He says I am. I'm the clay He molds. I'm the masterpiece He creates. I am His work in progress. 

I am me because He is Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please play nice with comments. No profanity! Yet, feel free to express yourself.