Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Emotional Creatures

The Alphabet Bible Study goes on. This week, the letter is E. I have chosen Emotions to tackle. Emotions are a touchy subject. We are warned about those deceitful emotions and how closely we should guard our hearts.

Galatians 5:16-17
So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.

It's weird to think of your emotions as your sinful nature. In essence, they are. Emotions are selfish. And selfishness is not selflessness. (Hope I didn't lose you.) When we want something, we want something. Most times, we don't care how we get it, just so we are satisfied. Emotions can be a good thing but they need to be kept in check. That's the key.

I didn't want to fill this post with scriptures. I was hoping you would pick up where I left off. There is a list of emotional desires that we should avoid. Like any good Father, He lists the feelings we should have in our hearts.

It's sad to say that we are fighting a battle within our hearts YET we know who wins. Thus, it should be easy to decide which side to fight for. But those pesky emotions...

Soli Deo Gloria,

Step Brown

1 comment:

  1. Umm this is good...real good!

    When my flesh starts to rule if I catch it I apologize and say "Lord please forgive me for missing the mark"

    Just recently one of my co-workers was acting funny out of the blue she stopped speaking to me and I got ready to shun her but then I said help me Lord please this is NOT about me. And if it is Help me some more....

    Once I said those words I was able to let go of my thoughts. My co-worker still wasn't speaking to me but I was moving in the right direction of letting it go.

    Emotions will trick you but God will always give you discernment if you ask...
    Now when I'm going through that I look at my hand stretched out and scream.......THESE NAILS...
    Praise you Lord

    ReplyDelete

Please play nice with comments. No profanity! Yet, feel free to express yourself.