Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Friends---How many of us have them?

The weekly Alphabet Bible Study rolls on. This week, our letter of focus is F. That reminded me of my favorite song by an 80's rap group. FRIENDS: How many of us have them? FRIENDS: Ones we can depend on? Friends is a word we use everyday but most times we use it in the wrong way...

Yessir, God are times when all you need is a true friend. The key is a TRUE friend. It may take a lifetime to find a true friend but once you got one, you normally got them for life. Today, I am going to go to 1 Samuel 20. In this passage, we find David, the newly anointed king of Israel, fleeing for his life from Saul, the newly rejected king of Israel.

1 Samuel 20: 1-4

1 Then David fled from Naioth at Ramah and went to Jonathan and asked, “What have I done? What is my crime? How have I wronged your father, that he is trying to kill me?”  2 “Never!” Jonathan replied. “You are not going to die! Look, my father doesn’t do anything, great or small, without letting me know. Why would he hide this from me? It isn’t so!” 3 But David took an oath and said, “Your father knows very well that I have found favor in your eyes, and he has said to himself, ‘Jonathan must not know this or he will be grieved.’ Yet as surely as the LORD lives and as you live, there is only a step between me and death.”  4 Jonathan said to David, “Whatever you want me to do, I’ll do for you.”

Now, be honest. How many of you would go against your parent to help your friend? I know you're saying, "If moms is wrong, she is just wrong." Yet, when it all falls down, it's still your mom or dad. It must be hard to go against your parent. Yet, we see Jonathan sacrificing for his friend, David. Jonathan could die behind this decision. Not only that, Jonathan is giving up his right to be king by helping David. Now, I have some true blues in my world but giving up power and riches on their behalf...  *thinking*

Hopefully, we will never have to make that sort of choice. Still, it is refreshing to know that friendship are important to one's very existence. It's even more refreshing to know that I have friends in my life that I would count as sisters from different misters. Friends, I believe, would make some difficult choices on my behalf. I thank God that they are in my life. There are indeed blessings from above.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Step Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please play nice with comments. No profanity! Yet, feel free to express yourself.